Post 3: Oversaved 2 Progress and Finish

Put the layer of red on. Doing the eyes, eyebrows and mouth. I do this first before applying the flesh tones.

Put the flesh tone in. I usually do layers and then use brushes but mainly my fingers to apply the paint to the face. I also make sure the eyes have a lot of character and really pop.


Photo I used

Example of spirit writing


I approached the second part of the series the way I did the first painting. First, do the main face, then the babies then the background and put the text in. I painted the main face and decided again to keep the hair black. I'm deconstructing Joseph Smith.Does it have to look like him? Not entirely. He is a symbol, and on some level when I start distorting faces the realism of the face becomes irrelevant.  I think the eyes are piercing like the photograph. I made subtle changes like instead of carrying watering cans they are holding water pails  But then it was looking too safe and pristine. I started twisting the words " Holiness to the Lord." Some of the letters, are backward, forward and generally making no sense. I finished only about half of the painting the other day and called it a day. Then I came home and read a book about the video artist Tony Oursler: Imponderable: The Archives of Tony Oursler. The book isn't so much about the artist which was a bummer. It was still a bizarre photo and newspaper clip collection. Lots of photos of circus freaks, magical hoaxes, odd scientific instruments.Spirtualists would write words unconsciously like in a trance. Some of what they wrote down definitely looked like ghostly abstract art. Very gorgeous. I think I came in the next day and became inspired by the photographs I saw. The words no longer became the issue. It became more about the beauty of the line and a subtle haunting quality of the letters in general. I am going to glance at some of the examples more in the book and try to emulate them in the next couple paintings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oversaved 3, 36X36, Acrylic on canvas