Post 2: Finished Oveersaved 1


There's a photograph of Joseph Smith where it looks like he has really dark hair. Which is odd because throughout my childhood he has blonde hair. When I did the painting of his hair I painted it in black thinking I'd add red highlights. But I liked the jet black look

I decided to paint the eye brows purple because I thought the character would keep the Mad Monster Party look. Also, the black hair would be better emphasized. 
. I also liked using a light primary blue for the drips coming down his face. Often I do diapers on my figures but this time I did jock straps. I chose to do this mainly because I haven't painted that and thought it would look goofy.  I also like anything where I could do small roman drapery details.
I decided the figures shouldn't just be floating into space. They should have a purpose. So the figures are carrying water cans with water in them. They are assisting in dunking him with water.
I thought about what would be a good background color. Maybe I would use the green in his eyes. But that would be too intense. The painting already had enough color in it. So I thought I'd go for a really black gray. 
I've been fascinated already by angels. I already did two series inspired by angels. I did a google search on seraphim and two types of images came up. One a painterly one. And the other more abstracted design based. Slightly like calligraphy or pinstriping. I chose the design based one because it was more unorthodox and contemporary looking. 
I had family home evening with my sister. We were watching general conference talks. James E Faust was talking about how old temples used to have the words written:"Holiness to the Lord." I admired the phrase because it's gentlemanly. A dignified and quiet way to think about spirituality. So I wrote the words around the spirit babies.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 3: Oversaved 2 Progress and Finish

Oversaved 3, 36X36, Acrylic on canvas